Welcome, Readers!

The contest Save the Picture Book has ended. Telling people about funny, informative, beautiful, or generally awesome picture books continues. I also share middle grade books, book apps, and educational apps that my kids and I like.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review: Every Cowgirl Needs Dancing Boots

Every Cowgirl Needs Dancing Boots, by Rebecca Janni, ill. by Lynne Avril (Penguin, 2011.)



Every Cowgirl Needs Dancing Boots, the sequel to Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse, finds the narrator staring out her window at the glitter girls, the sisters across the street who dress up fancy and dance. When they don't want to go ridin' with her (on bikes,) she devises a new plan: a barn dance. When they prove to be less than enthusiastic, Nellie Sue wants to give up. But a cowgirl NEVER gives up, and amen to that.

What I love about these books is, a. she calls her bicycle "Beauty, the two-wheeled horse Mama and Daddy got me for my birthday," and b. just the narrator's overall voice. Also her earnestness. Have I ever said how much I love earnest characters? You will root for Nellie Sue as she plans the barn dance(in her garage) and waits...and waits for the guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment