Welcome, Readers!

The contest Save the Picture Book has ended. Telling people about funny, informative, beautiful, or generally awesome picture books continues. I also share middle grade books, book apps, and educational apps that my kids and I like.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Big Kid Picture Book Reviews

For Save Everything! (and the Picture Book,) Plaza Library librarian Ann Reaves recently shared How I Learned Geography, by author/illustrator Uri Shulevitz, with local second, third, and fourth graders.

In this picture book, a World War II refugee family is hungry. But rather than buying bread, the father buys a map. Though angry at first, the little boy is able to imagine far off lands--and even learns to draw because of the map.

My favorite quote from a kid review: "It was about a very poor boy who learned a lesson (Feed your mind.)" (See the full review below.)

I love seeing how kids review books differently from adults. For one thing, when adults say what they would change, it's something like, "I wish there was a glossary."

Kids, on the other hand, say:



Or, occassionally:



(Hey, we all have our favorite subjects!)

Library book reviewers tend to say who would benefit from the book being added to their collection. Children following the Percy Jackson series, for instance.

But when kids are asked "Who would like the book the most?" they give you a name:



The most popular answer to this question: "my mom."

I love that their moms love picture books!

Here are picture book reviews from some big kid readers:







Thank you, Ann, for leading this Save the World! (and the Picture Book) activity.

Please see below for a printable Save the Sweetness! (and the Sweet Picture Book) flyer. Kids and teachers can win sweet picture books by reviewing sweet picture books during the month of February.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful initiative! I so enjoy reading students' responses. Thanks for encouraging them! Hurrah!
    Z-Dad

    ReplyDelete